Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wow! I'm Finally A Real Teacher

After 13 years in the classroom, I have finally arrived to "teacherhood." What do I mean? I'm finally a real teacher - unqualified according to the infamous NCLB (No Child Left Behind act), but a real teacher. Why? Because I am participating for the first time at a school where teachers can teach; a school that truly strives to create an atmosphere of learning for all students through REAL expectation; a school that recognizes that everything that goes wrong is not the teachers' fault; a school that expects students to take responsibility for their own actions, good or bad.

My new job expects me to educate "to the masses" not cater to the individual who refuses to learn, and whose goal it is to disrupt the classroom. When that happens, those students are educated somewhere else; somewhere that suits their individual needs whatever they are, and the overall results are positive. Students removed are still educated. They just are not allowed to disrupt others' trying and wanting to learn.

The results are telling. My new school's drop-out rate is 1.3%. Compare that to our national average. As a 'newbee' I know why. Discipline and positive expectation that you (the student) will learn and behave as one is suppose to in a learning environment, works! But you know what impresses me most? My students. They know that they are valued and expected to do their very best and they thrive. They understand that school is the most important place for them to be every day.

I know that teachers are not suppose to say, "When I was in school" or "When we were in school..." but it is true. We were expected to learn. While in class, we read, we wrote, we asked questions when we needed clarification. We sang, we produced plays, and we knew we were where we were suppose to be. No mixed messages. We added and subtracted variables and integers and we learned about our country. Some days I feel as if I stepped off into the twilight zone. Rod Serling? Where are you?

We need more schools where students feel welcome. We need more schools that encourage positive behavior where students aren't 'dissed' for turning in homework or completing work that is organized and consistent with teaching standards. And we need schools that aren't afraid to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, with pride, or at least in loud voices. After so many years, I am encouraged again by the customers that I serve each day. Amazing.

1 comment:

Just A Girl said...

Hey Robinksi,
A new post! This is so exciting! I'm glad you're enjoying your new job and hope you continue to.
It's begun to cool here in the evenings, but the same during the day. I can't wait for winter!
Have a fun week!
Love,
Cori