Saturday, October 25, 2008

Uncle Sam, Remember Me? I Don't Need Your Help!


This morning at almost the crack of dawn, I roamed through my home to open windows to allow scents of desert flowers to permeate the indoors. As usual, the sky was gorgeous with its twirls of pinks and golds, and to add splender to the moment, I poured myself a scrumptous glass of iced green tea. The backyard next to my lovebirds, already perched in their morning places, would be the perfect start to my Saturday.

Walking to the back door, I talked myself into a short detour to catch a glimpse of what the world was doing. With a click of the switch, CNN came into view. The same droll of whining seemed to be the morning fest, so I flipped to FOX. For a moment things were interesting with the poll counts and knocks against a fabulous woman running for Vice President, until another woman began to spew poison about "how the American people want help from their government." Instantly, I heard my grandfather's "Huh?" fly from my mouth as I choked on my tea.

Since when do the American people want help from their government? Have we lost ourselves that much that we are looking to the White House to bail us out again and again? Many might answer yes, but look closely. Just weeks ago, members of Congress were inundated with voice mails, e-mails, faxes, letters, and phone calls, expressing OVERWHELMINGLY (media, biased or not, report 86 to 90%) that a 'bailout' was not the answer nor was it wanted. But what happened? Our Republican President and Democratic Congress signed into legislation to "help the American people" with a bailout package of over 700 billion borrowed dollars!

May I speak for the masses? I CAN HELP MYSELF! So many of US have worked diligently building our lives and futures. We have saved, we have invested, we've put away our dollars for a rainy day only to see much of it wash away recently, and still, we say, "No Bailout!" Congress, however, keeps weeping that we must save Wall Street in order to save the Middle Class - the backbone of our nation. Is the middle class crying? Maybe a bit, but we are the grownups in this mess.

Those we entrusted with our intentions refuse to listen so much so, that as we point out the obvious, they refuse to whipe their snotty noses, bemoaning tidbits of what the American people need. Is this the legacy we wanted to leave future generations? Is this what we want to do with the gifts and hard work of our grandparents? Let's remember who we are. Our leaders are intruding. It's time to stop them. They know that as we grow weary of their ways, we will do just that. I may have chocked on my tea this morning, but I think it's time to toss the whole lot of it back into the harbor. Let's act now. I say let's raise up our arms and vote them away.

No comments: