Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wishes...

Cassandra Barnes at Through A Window Brightly, proposes an interesting question. If you could make a wish come true, what would it be? Her idea peeked when over hearing a conversation between two women who revealed that great quantities of money would be theirs'. I had that wish once, until it came true.

My wish of great wealth was to find thrown away money alongside the highway, or stuffed under a mound of sand somewhere in the desert. Of course my justification for keeping the loot, would be that it was dirty money (found by me), meant for the unthinkable; let's say for the purchase of drugs, or life savings demanded by human smugglers. If found (by me), filthy money would suddenly transform itself into goodness and love: I would share by sending great quantities to various charities. I would gift to family, and of course, my husband and I would enjoy frequent luxury vacations during custom renovations to our seasonal homes.

As it happened, one day during a ride through the desert, my husband waved me over to where he had parked his ATV. I approached slowly as he was signaling me like an approaching airliner to its dock. "What's the deal?" I asked. Then I saw the gleaming white plastic coated potato sack. It sent chills up my spine. Not good chills; violent dark murdering chills. There we were on a lonely road, next to the All American Canal. We were in complete isolation staring at large meticulously placed bags, of which its contents was obvious.

With further investigation of shape, weight and number of packages, and with a tree branch placed strategically atop the bags fold, the evidence could not be ignored. A careful line of dusted footprints trying to be concealed, led away to a mesquite tree, where perhaps the deliverers of said contents waited.

We knew it; we were looking at perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars in money, drugs, or perhaps, both. Our whispered discussion was not about how my wishes had just come true, but rather about how to leave and not draw attention to ourselves. No doubt, the unscrupulous could be watching for a 'pick up' of the soon to be evil fortune. We decided to play dumb, and attempt our departure as if we were discussing the beauty of the canal as we slowly launched away on our ATVs. Once out of the desert and into population, we reported our find. There guess was, that we called it as it was.

Now I know what "Be careful what you wish for" means.

3 comments:

Just A Girl said...

I once found an envelope precariously placed on the piano keys with my name on it. When I peered inside I discovered 5 crisp $100 bills...for me? I held on to it for two weeks and didn't say a word to dad. Then one day I asked him about it and he said he had placed it there for safe keeping knowing I wouldn't spend it EVEN THOUGH IT HAD MY NAME ON IT!!!!
I sheepishly handed it over...such is life!

xoxo Cori

Robin said...

Really? Knowing Dad, he probably invested it somewhere, but next time you find something like that, just say, "Thanks!"

Love,

Me

Cassandra said...

Hi Robin,

What a scary story!

I, too, have imagined finding a large sum of money, and like you, thought that "dirty" money would be transformed by all the good things I'd be doing with it. Those good things would take place, of course, after I hired a full time housekeeper, LOL.

I found a twenty-dollar bill last year while walking the dog. It wasn't far from the elementary school, so I worried about some child that had lost field trip or lunch money. Lots of restaurants not far away, so it could have been tip money that a waitress has slaved over.

There was no way to determine who it belonged to, so I kept it for awhile, but couldn't spend it. Then a neighbor had to take a cat to the Humane Society, so I gave him the $20.00 and asked him to donate it to the animal shelter.

I found $5.00 years ago on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant I'd just eaten at. Again, no way to know to whom it belonged. So I took it inside the restaurant and added it to the tip I'd already left my waitress.

So I guess it wouldn't do me any good to find a large sum of money, assuming I survived any actions taken by owner hiding behind the bushes. I just couldn't use it for my personal benefit, darn, LOL.

Because I walk my dog at least twice a day, I find a lot of pennies on ground. Those I put in my pocket and total at the end of the year. Occasionally I find as much as a quarter - big money!

Someone told me that finding a penny on the ground means that an angel has smiled at you. So even a tiny penny has value and is worth bending over to pick up.

Happy Writing!

Cassandra