Friday, July 24, 2009

"Acts of Love" by Cassandra Barnes is the perfect poolside read.


Every summer I compile a list of novels that I intend to read. My standards dictate that at least one be a classic - read before or not, a mystery - romance or not, a ghost story, a biography/autobiography, and finally that one be a self-growth and God centered. I use various locations to add cozy, zing, and contemplation to my reading moments. Such real estate resides nestled on my couch, where the sky is easily visible and the clouds can interject and insert their opinions. Another prime location is the corner chair where a swaying jackoranda can be viewed dancing with purple daisies and blackeyed-susans. My fun-reads, however, take me to my pool where I soak up words and water.

This summer's classic is, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Ward Beecher Stowe. My spirituals consist of Deepak Chopra's "Book of Secrets" and as a reference check, the Bible. My fun read by the pool, however, is one that I am just beginning called, "Acts of Love" by Cassandra Barnes.

Cassandra Barnes tells a story about a woman who lives in a quaint little town, where she owns and operates a small business called Earth Scents. Earth Scents is a cozy shop that holds herbs, candles, oils, and fragrances meant to promote well-being and healing. One can almost sense being surrounded by the scent of white birch, as sun streams through crystals that dangle in the window. And all the while, soft meanderings of metaphysical music drifts in the background.

The "Spice Cats," Cinnamon and Nutmeg, spark playfulness in an atmosphere that finds itself suddenly surrounded by the mystery of a double murder that Amanda's love interest (perhaps), is lead investigator. I'm only on chapter seven, but I detect some conflict between the 'want to be, maybe not want to be lovers. Yazz has his suspects, but Amanda isn't so sure. By any means, I'm curious about the murders, Amanda's secret surrounding her long lost son, and I love her abode. This story is the perfect poolside or fireplace read. You pick the season, but in the meantime, I'll keep reading!

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Hi Robin,

Hope you're continuing to enjoy "Acts of Love."

Cinnamon and Nutmeg are modeled after my twin felines, Amber and Topaz, except that mine are skittish around people.

I'm always curious to know at what point readers figure out who the "bad guy" is.

Cassandra