Wednesday, June 17, 2009

So What Happend to My Plan?

A year ago last March, I had an itch to change my surroundings and the direction of my career. After 12 years on campus, 9 of those teaching English, I decided to quit, kind of... My real dream is to write and publish, but being realistic, I knew I would have to teach a bit longer. Perhaps two more years at most.

The Art position I applied for prior to teaching English, was not going to vacate even though that teacher is horrifically unhappy. I decided that teaching at a new school and district was in my best interest. Teaching art was still an option, so 3 months later, I began my search. I let the high school district know my intentions, but there was an obstacle. Anymore, talent, comprehension and passion of subject matter, interest, and teaching credentials, do not qualify one to teach in that given area, so the week before school began, this seasoned educator was emergency certified to teach biology. (The art positions I so coveted, were literally filled by others' unqualified, as I waited on the phone while excited secretaries wrote me in for interview.)

Biology was OK. I loved reviewing (I hold over 30 units in Science) and teaching Biology the English way, but alas, March came once more, and this time, I was given my walking papers! Was the Universe listening? During the school year I earned my credentials to teach Art, but with our economy and budget cuts, teaching art may not be in my future. But again I have to wonder...was the Universe listening? Yes!

With that, I set my plan in motion... well almost. You see, my plan was to exercise, write, and swim, every day. That is how I planned to build my writing career this summer. However, my plans have been completely thrown to the wind, or should I say the breeze and clouds? I love clouds. Clouds are my favorite weather thing, but being a desert girl, it is impossible to even think about submerging my pinkie tow into a pool, when the thermometer has yet to read above 97 degrees! My nature dictates that I don't even take the plunge, until the water reaches a cool 86, which requires 4 days of 102 degrees (or above) consecutively.

So my plan? I'm writing...

No comments: